Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I decided to research English Springer Spaniels for my search engine project. The English Springer Spaniel is a dog, and this particular breed has been with my family for decades. I realized that I do not know too much about them, so I figured why not? :)

I decided to use and for my research. My first impression of the two search engines were *completely* different.


Google looked more visually appealing then Yahoo!. It immediately had 3 pictures of English Springer Spaniels (one of them is above), and proceeded with relevant sites. The first site was the “English Springer Rescue America”. This site is for someone who is looking for this particular breed of dogs without homes, and this is where my family rescued the dog we have now, Bogie. Here is an actual picture of my dog!

The sponsored links in Google were located far over to the right, and even those were pretty relevant. (except , but you are going to find that in any search engine because they are everywhere!) The whole Google set-up was appealing to the eye, and had relevant topics, despite what I put in with the different terms that we were supposed to use. For example, I used “English Springer Spaniel and dogs” for one of my search queries. I was immediately directed to factual sites about the dogs, as well as images and rescue sites. Using my different terms, I was directed to relevant sites all English-Springer Spaniel related. However, they were in different spots with the different terms. The #1 site would jump to #5, and the #2 site would move to #6, etc. I was very satisfied with Google. It was visually easy to research, and directed me to the appropriate websites.


I was pretty disappointed with Yahoo!. The website is set up so there are sponsored links in various parts of the site; on the far right, and as the first results located the top of the page. However, these sponsored results were not relevant. One was for E-bay, and another was for shirts with dogs on them. Both were unsuccessful for my research. There were also no immediate images of English Springer Spaniels. As I typed in the different terms, many sites that were in Google were showed on the website. However, I also got inaccurate responses. Some directed me to a dictionary, and some directed me to other search engines. I was not provided the research I wanted with some of my different search queries.


Google was definitely more accurate in my search engine research. As I typed in the different terms, I was directed to accurate sites. Yahoo! had many of the sites Google did, but there was a noticeable difference with the irrelevant sites that showed. I was impressed with the visual & textual appearances of Google, and will definitely stick to using the website in the future!

If by any chance you were interested with English Springer Spaniels, here are some facts I found!
  • English Springer Spaniels are bird-hunting dogs.
  • Their breed character is merry, alert, eager to please, and easy to train.
  • The color of the dog is black or liver, and white.
  • The tail is "docked" at birth.
  • English Springer Spaniels go through their "teenage years" and may test the owner!

The End! (hope it wasn't too boring!) :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home